Saturday 1 January 2011

2010, 2011

This will either be a short one or a long one.
I was going to spend some time yesterday thinking over 2010, what I'd learned, and so on, but it turns out I don't have enough patience for all that reviewing. I could say well, the momentous event was getting married (which it was) although really, I think that deciding to get married might have been even more so. And I did some interesting work stuff, and some interesting study stuff, and welcomed into my home the loveliest cat in the world (would it be ok to buy her an anniversary present?).
But already I'm all over planning for 2011. Mainly I'll be having a baby, though that doesn't seem to need much intervention from me at the moment, and is proceeding along nicely without me. But I'm also going to be enthusiastic and brave and curious and open-minded and kind and generous, and I'm going to have a sense of perspective, and I'm going to remember that other people have off days too. These all fail the resolution tests, because they're not specific or measurable, but what's wrong with just deciding on some ways you would like your mindset to be?
Haven't quite decided what to do about books this year, in particular about numbering for ones I started in 2010 but finish this year. I think I'll take them off the 2010 total and add them into 2011, not there are many though of course War & Peace is lingering. Perhaps as the year progresses it will be harder to find time for reading, though a newborn can't take up that much time, can it?

(I nearly didn't write this post at all after reading what The Heartful Blogger had to say about resolutions. But since I'm going nowhere near the idea of size 8 skinny jeans, I reckon it's just about acceptable...)

2 comments:

  1. I've started a new chapter (like it) in my reading record, but had to carry over some unfinished business. I'm trying to keep up with stuff I like to dip into by maintaining a daily reading list, I hope it will help me tackle those mountains like Morte d'Arthur in digestible lumps. Can you digest a mountain?
    Oddly enough, I did a spot of self-hypnosis in the night and the mantra I used was 'I will be brave'.....I might have to pass on the sense of perspective, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always do what you want, no matter what I write!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete